September 07, 2009

Forums

I just noticed something: no matter how cool a forum sounds to me, I always end up leaving.

The first forum I left was called Fantasy Facts. As far as I know, it no longer exists. I left because I was busy all of a sudden, and ended up forgetting it. Months later, I came back and was greeted with a new main page, saying that soon the site would be taken down. It was a neat site, just a very small writing community. There were some neat people there. And now it's gone. When i realized soon it would no longer exist, even though I hadn't been there for months, it was like someone I kind of knew had died and no one had told me for like a year.

After that, I didn't see many forums for years. I found some, but I didn't like them much. Eventually last spring I found one that I thought was awesome. However, I didn't take long to ask around some related sites and find out that they were like the most narrow-minded site of the type. Not only that, but they were mostly jerks. I mean, they didn't even get trolled that much, and then someone comes asking for help with something, and they keep saying things like, "...but if you're a troll you might as well leave now," and it the person left after posting like three times.

At some point I found a related site that was much better. The people were nice, the forums were interesting. But it wasn't my sort of place, and so when summer began I decided to just leave the entire community for at least a few months.

Not long after that I found Lumine Hall. I thought I had found the forum version of a home. Then I went on vacation, came back, got a couple of weeks of rest, and then had to go on a short road trip. After that I had just plain bad luck. I kept getting hurt, and then school started, and since then I've been too busy to come back.

But these last few days I've been thinking and realized that I'm just not a forum-poster sort of person. I'd rather browse a site, lurk the forums, and maybe occasionally post. I'm just not a social person, I guess. I've never really been social, I've always been shy. I think from now on if I do join a forum, I'm not going to try to post regularly.

May the force be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment